Friday 16 July 2010

Fury :'(

I will never be able to understand how something like this can happen. I will never be able to understand why someone would let this happen. And I will never be able to understand how someone could be the one to carry out such an action. In all honesty, I don't want to be able to understand how they do what they do. I just want to be able to put a stop to it.

I don't know how to explain what I wish to say very well but I shall give it my best shot.

I have - as a lot of you will already know - a love for human rights, and I have currently been reading a book called Nothing But the Truth by Anna Politkovskaya - an amazing journalist and a role model of mine. In it are horrifying accounts of human rights abuses, including - don't read on if sensitive/pictures things too easily/etc -

soldiers setting fire to a mother in front of her child. How could anyone do that? And how could a leader of a country not demand those responsible be brought to justice? How can a leader of a country in some ways strengthen the positions of the abusers? Do they not care? How can their hearts not go out to those sufferring? Are they not haunted at night in their dreams? I know I have been haunted by something I have only read about and so I do not understand how those who are actively involved in the abuses happening can escape such dreams. Is it simply that they are so cold hearted they remain unaffected? Yet some of these people have families - how can one love their own family so much while not have feeling for others? I will never understand. I want to make things stop - such as through the letter writing I do for Amnesty International and the like. I have been contemplating not being a doctor any more and instead becoming a human rights lawyer, but no matter what I end up being I shall *never* stop campaigning for human rights. It isn't possible for me to do so. I, unlike those cold-blooded killers, actually care about the people. A part of me would like to end this post by calling the abusers 'bastards' but I am not sure if that is, for example, mature... but stuff it... they're bastards.

No comments:

Post a Comment